The context of Cold Contract brings you in a hostile country where you need to neutralize an old enemy.
You begin the game in a base camp where you have the choice to recruit several mercenaries.
At first, you are limited by your financial resources and base camp level so that you can only deploy a small team to attack enemy positions.
You choose your target, the equipment for your team and when you want to attack.
During your progression, you can buy upgrades for your base camp, weapons on the market, and extend the skills and abilities of each member of your team when they earn experience.
In addition, if you follow the story or later in game, you will access to special missions, which offer new challenges like securing a group of hostages, destroy strategic weapons, or eliminate some VIP of the enemy faction. There are eight types of missions including the basic assault on enemy positions.
The gameplay is divided in two parts: a strategic view in real-time where you manage your team and your base camp, and a tactical view on an isometric battlefield where you give orders to your characters with a turn-based system.
Partial list of features:
- Several mercenaries generated randomly with their own skills and equipment;
- Unique world map for each new game;
- Twenty-five unique locations built with a procedural algorithm;
- Upgradable base camp with twenty-five options;
- Aggressive (but not suicidal) AI with several levels of behaviors;
- Real-time strategic view and management of squads;
- Turn-based action on isometric battlefield;
- Destructive isometric environment;
- Night and day cycle, with influence on your team;
- Five environments (village, city, factory, military site...);
- Seven skills and more than thirty perks;
- Eight missions (VIP elimination, defense, weapon destruction...).